Friday, October 14, 2011

Beyonce's gotta know some smart people...

I have a hard time believing that she's not already aware of this. I want to believe that maybe, just maybe, this is her way of exposing dance history. First Fosse. Now De Keersmaeker. Smart. Really smart. 

It's all been done before, so why not stand on the shoulders of giants?? Those of us who have studied her cry at her concerts (Anne's. yes... I've done that. And I'm sure there are people who cry at Beyone's concerts). Ms. De Keersmaeker is incredibly smart and an extraordinary choreographer.   

When my students first introduced me to Beyonce, I became obsessed. Many of her videos and her songs make my critical mind question. She's making socially challenging decisions. She's copying (sharing?  exposing?) great choreographers. She chose a super smart partner in Jay-Z. There's something to the woman behind the curtain. 

So, my challenge to you is to do your own homework. Here's the youtube video that puts them together. Figure out Ms. De Keersmaeker for yourself....

*and so you know, from my understanding her name is pronounced "Dee-Keers-mock-er"

No comments:

Post a Comment