Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July!

Earlier this week, I took a Zumba class in Spanish, a Chinese Dance workshop, and learned the Foxtrot and the Rumba, all in one day.

Language barriers (I'm learning Spanish, but I'm not fluent. And I don't understand Mandarin.), different movement vocabularies, and various social and cultural backgrounds didn't prevent people from coming together to dance. To celebrate the joy of the moving body and the freedom to gather in a safe space!

In this same space, there was no threat of violence or judgement. And the only suggestions of fear were a few hesitations of new dancers to begin... only to be released once the music and the movement began to flow. As I moved with these communities, the gift of this freedom overwhelmed me.

Thank you, to everyone who sacrificed, so that we may come together to celebrate, and to dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment