Thursday, July 31, 2014

Out of Darkness - Photo exhibit with Brian Mengini


Out of Darkness is Brian Mengini's latest project. Working with him is always really special because in addition to being an incredible dance photographer, he creates some projects that are emotionally powerful and socially meaningful. I'm honored to be a part of this project, dedicated to his mother and step-father as they battle his step-father's cancer together.

For this shoot, Brian gave me the direction that he was interested in strength and vulnerability. He had no specific moments he wanted to catch; he just wanted me to improvise with the intention of the project and we would see what happened.

Although I needed to be aware of my space, my light, the slightly slipperiness of the background, and the lines I was creating for a visual pathway in space, I appreciated the ability to physically investigate and work through some of my own emotional and physical challenges that have been circling in my kinesphere. Dancing brings a unique moment of awareness - internally and externally. And although this was Brian's project, I am grateful to share an element of my own stories, even as they continue to unfold.

A loud rock station played on the radio and engulfed the space, but I had a separate, internal soundtrack.



The subject matter was serious, but I had a lot of fun with Brian's little boy. He was so full of curiosity and wonder and life! Thanks, Brian, for the opportunity to celebrate challenges, pain, and uninhibited joy! 



Come see the exhibit - August 1st, 6-9pm at his studio! It's open to the public and should be a lot of fun!

Here's the link to his website:
Brian Mengini

No comments:

Post a Comment