Monday, October 14, 2013

"You say it best when you say nothing at all..."

In many of my classes, I talk about body posture - the way that our bodies take up space and what a particular body shape communicates about us to other people. Posture is so important to dance, but dance is more than just art - it's non-verbal communication. And this is where everyone can benefit from having a little bit of dance insight and training. Our bodies tell our stories and reveal who we are. My students and young dancers are always surprised when I pull one of them aside and ask, "Are you okay? What's going on?" "Huh? How'd you know?" is usually the response. I tell my dancers (and non-dancers) that the way they sit, walk, stand, hold their arms, their neck and shoulders, "speaks" volumes.

Amy Cuddy also shares this insight on Ted Talks. Check her out:
Amy Cuddy



"Our bodies change our minds, and our minds can change our behavior, and our behavior can change our outcomes..." ~Amy Cuddy


I (also) encourage you to stand, or dance, and see how that changes you. What did you find? Report back!

*   *   *   *   *

(I'm sharing this link because I can't get this song out of my head... Perhaps you can dance to this as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment