Sunday, June 16, 2013

Beneath the surface

Everyday heroes return to their everyday homes after disaster.

I can't imagine what that transition is like for them. Thank you - to all of our everyday heroes who do extraordinary things. Thank you for making those sacrifices that those of us left at home cannot imagine. Thank you for coming home. (And thank you those at home for having patience when our everyday heroes deal with new challenges.)

Refer back to my earlier post Every day Heroes

Pete's returning home, right before Father's Day. As mentioned on his interview, he takes pride in his garden. To welcome him home, we spent some time making sure that the garden was beautiful, which included digging into the dirt and making fun messes!

I reflected on my time as a child, helping my grandmother plant new flowers in our garden. I pulled the growing flower out of its small pot. A net of ugly strings clung to the dirt under the beautiful plant. I beat the net away, not wanting the ugliness under the surface to strangle the beauty that was reaching for the sun.

 Oops.

Now I know better.

Now I know that the dirt isn't gross, but contains vital nutrients to the plant. The "gross" dirt is a warm and safe environment. The ugly net is both beautiful and supportive. It provides a grounding point from which the beauty can grow. It provides life support. It is as much, if not more, of the plant as the green, blue, and yellow above the surface. It's beauty is different, but no less prominent.

Coincidentally - and I do believe in signs (suggested reading - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho), a friend posted on Facebook the following article that examines how we talk to little girls - what we really say when we begin a conversation and what we're teaching them on which to focus. Which brings me back to my research on beauty. According to Latina Fatale, "fifteen to eighteen percent of girls under twelve now wear mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick regularly; eating disorders are up and self-esteem is down; and twenty-five percent of young American women would rather win America's next top model than the Nobel Peace Prize."  Check it out for yourself - How to talk to Little Girls

And then - remember that the beauty on the surface requires a net of "ugly" roots underneath, a mound of dirt, lots of sun, and a lot of work.

This is going in my research box.


No comments:

Post a Comment