Thursday, April 16, 2015

"Unveiled" Updates - Brandi Ou

Thank you, Brandi.

It's important for me to take a moment and publicly thank Brandi for this challenge. She approached me with this challenge in early 2015. A new year? Our own work? (insert much conversation and some external encouragement from other family and friends...) Okay....!

Brandi and I have known each other for about five years. As a dancer, one creates a unique bond with another dancer.

In all honesty, anyone who spends five years moving, creating, and trying to be honest in artistic practice with another person for five years develops a special relationship.

Brandi and I connected quickly and she saw through my external performances to the truth in my heart. She always challenged me not to be so protective of myself and begged me to answer the questions that I didn't know how to ask. She wasn't always sure how to ask them, either, but she knew that the questions existed.

"A dream is an answer to a question you have not yet learned how to ask" ~unknown

One of those dreams and not-yet-learned questions was this performance.

I have learned so much about myself as a leader, a creator, an educator, and as someone who feels called to create beauty where there is so much destruction in our world.

I have been challenged in my patience, in my acceptance, in my aesthetic, in my self-belief and self-worth, in asking for help, and in knowing when I've reached my limits - but have still been encouraged to find the ability to take one more step.

I've failed and tried again. and again. and again.

I've learned that there are many people who love me and that I love. I've learned that accepting that unconditional exchange is scary, but rewarding and ultimately safe.

Brandi spear-headed our Hatchfund campaign (we divided the work of producing this show) and describes herself as "a hard-working woman who loves to love and gives my heart to everything I do 110%". I agree.

Brandi's showing her work, Not All Who Wander Are Lost alongside my work (in)visible veins on Friday as part of Unveiled.

For tickets: The Dance Box Office


Brandi in my work Embedded Layers. Photo by Bill Hebert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment